Photobucket>

Friday, July 31, 2009

Page Turners & Buffie Summer Reading Club

Despite the nasty rain, Nirvanna and I met up with Arnie at the Malverne Public Library to celebrate and encourage reading. We were guests on Page Turners which Nirvanna perfectly described as "The View" but with librarians! haha It was a really great appearance to explain the Miss America Organization to people there. So often, people just do not have a great understanding of this organization and what it does for young women. I think we were both great representatives of what Miss America stands for and what great things it can bring into our lives.


On Page Turners we were able to talk about reading and how it has shaped our lives as well as briefly share our favorite book. I've quoted my favorite many times in this blog, but I'm happy to bring it up again: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. And although this is a post about reading, here is the video link where you can see him delivering his lecture at Carnegie Mellon. It's incredible.

I also was able to step back into my childhood and remember the "Buffie Summer Reading Club" giggle. giggle. Yep, that's what we did for fun growing up, and it's how we earned fun prizes like 1 book = Dairy Queen, 5 books = having a friend over, 10 books = taking a friend to a movie or spending the night, etc. We were cool. But in all honesty, I spent a lot of time at the Southport Public Library or in our make-shift treehouse reading and I'm certain it shaped who I am today. I'll admit that I'm not actually a huge reader - I've become more of one on the subway in NY - but with that being said, I can't imagine how I would have been had I not read so much as a kid.

***
Small correction, Claire,
After reading one book--your prize was......another book:)
Peace,
Jojo
President and CEO
Buffie Summer Reading Club
***

Our episode of Page Turners will air on Long Island in the first week of August and will be webcast in the Page Turners archives soon thereafter.

Visit the Malverne Library HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home