Photobucket>

Monday, March 30, 2009

ASK Yourself | EMBRACE Love | AFFECT Change

I went to a Human Rights Campaign event on Tuesday called "Talking Queer Politics" where openly-gay republican John Chromczak (who ran for NY Senator) shared the importance of calling our senators and representatives to encourage them to vote for the passage of upcoming bills being proposed through legislature to legalize and equalize gay marriage in the state of New York. He challenged us to think "WHY?" Why do we support gay marriage? Share a personal story. I await the day when I can stand up to honor my siblings at their weddings: Sean and his wife...Sarah and her wife...Hannah and her husband - ALL equal, unique, deserved and fully recognized and legal.

On that note, I have a few things to share for inspiration. While I attempt to not overload you with media, I accept that I'll absolutely fail in this post. But it's worth it. Below are a few really, really important things for you to take a second to look at. I'll change it up as to which one plays automatically in the coming weeks just to bring importance to each. Otherwise, take your few minutes of free time (that we all have so much of these days) to take a a look at these videos, these peoples' lives, and your reaction to each, as your form your opinion and stance on gay marriage. I hope that I am providing you with stories that change or inspire you not only tolerate, but to embrace the beauty of love and its relevance to and inclusion of EVERYONE.

Kate Shindle speaks on Prop 8 at the "Join the Impact" Rally in NYC
I used to watch this daily, now weekly. It is a reminder for me to do what's right: To stand as a straight ally for what I believe in by being proactive for good, not reactive to bad. "I'm Catholic, I'm straight ... and I have never been more sure that there is a right side of this issue and a wrong side, and we are on the right side!" -KS This is the power that Miss America has the potential to have. I challenge you to take a confident stance on "the greatest civil rights battle our generation will experience" and I invite you to our side.



"Nothing More" sung by Scott Alan
This song talks about the need for and importance of family. Not riches or a house, but just a home with a husband and child. Gay and lesbian people aren't asking for anything special or additional ... just "nothing more" than I have naturally as a heterosexual.

Oscar-award winning movie "MILK" - Trailer
Staring Sean Penn, this movie is nothing short of powerful and life-changing, really. You should rent it, put it on your queue for NetFlix, or find a theatre where it is still playing, and bring a kleenex. Open your mind and your heart to change and take the challenge and responsibility of being the one who affects it.

And Dustin Lance Black's Oscar acceptance speech

Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi Wed
This is ceremony about love - Not flowers or dresses or how many chairs you can fill. Joshua Radin's "Today" is such a beautiful song and really epitomizes the feeling I hope to have on my wedding day. "Today is the day I make you mine...You are the one I've been waiting for." If love binds two people in the most honest and perfect fit, they deserve to love freely and equally.

Courage Campaign - "Fidelity"
"We, the undersigned, share President Barack Obama's view that for too long, issues of LGBT rights have been exploited by those seeking to divide us. It's time to move beyond polarization and live up to our founding promise of equality by treating all our citizens with dignity and respect. ... We know that, ultimately, love will prevail, no matter how hard they try to fight it."

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo Ellen said...

Wow. I've seen all of these before, except the song, and they touch me deeply each and every time. The most important part of this is the messages are of love--isn't that what we are to use to make the world go 'round? Thanks, Claire--for doing the right thing--and know we are here for you every step of your journey.
Peace,
jojo

March 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home