Photobucket>

Thursday, June 4, 2009

breakthrough | mix it up

breakthrough is an international human rights organization that uses education, popular culture, and media to promote values of equality, justice, and dignity.

"We collaborate with the entertainment industry, educational institutions, and civil society groups to build a public dialogue around concerns that include: HIV/AIDS and Sexuality; Women's Rights; Racial Justice and Immigrant Rights; Religious Tolerance and Peace; and Human Rights in the United States"

Congratulations, Claire. You have found your match. I mean, really? This description is my life! [Seriously, my dad wrote a book on embracing religious diversity and my mom signs every email with "peace"] I love when things like this happen. I secured Therapy Lounge for my send off party and at that time was invited by the owner, Tom Johnson, to attend this breakthrough event on Monday and cross-promote my fundraiser. I had no idea that a) I was an actual part of their program, speech and all, or b) that this organization so closely overlapped with exact words of my platform essay. I was so proud to stand before them, feeling 100% supported, and say "This event is called mix it up. That's exactly what I'm here to do. I'm here to break stereotypes, to be vocal about gay rights and my straight ally support, to educate so many people who are misinformed and as a result close-minded. I'm here to mix it up and break through as a new face in the Miss America Organization, representing this great state of NY."

Check them out www.breakthrough.tv

1 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

Yep! It screams Claire to me!! Sounds like destiny that you found each other!

xo - Marni

June 6, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home